Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Greetings from Asia!


8,200 miles and a 14 hour flight later and here I am in the Tokyo airport!  I wasn't able to access wifi during my orientation in New York, and this is the first time I'm able to use my computer, so there is so much to update you guys on!
Orientation was exhausting.  There are 44 of us beginner Chinese speakers going to China, but there are three different cities: Shanghai, Chengdu, and Deyang.  We all listened to a lot of lectures and did bonding activities which was great because we were able to meet everyone, but by the end of the day I was so happy to get back to my dorm.  My roommate's name is Nina, and she is also going to Shanghai.  So far, my closest friend is Dominique (she's in the picture above with me in the Tokyo airport!).  She is from Indiana but she will be in Chengdu, which kind of stinks.  Luckily, we'll have two days in Beijing together and then again at the end of the trip we will have a few days in Beijing again.  Everyone going to Shanghai with me is super nice so I am really pumped to get to know them once we break up into our cities.
The flight from NY to Tokyo was absolutely exhausting.  Fourteen hours and I only got 30 minutes of sleep (I was able to catch up on a lot of movies though!), and we still have another four hour flight to Beijing tonight.  New York/D.C. time is 4:45 in the morning, but here it is 5:45 in the evening!  My time schedule is completely off, but I am running on adrenaline and a lot of coffee (hence the picture above) so I feel okay right now!  Next time I write, I'll be in CHINA!

Missing home and everyone there,
xoxo
sar

No comments:

Post a Comment